Dr. Felix Lorenz COWRIES.info
Errors and additions to the two volumes of
"Cowries - A Guide to the Gastropod Family Cypraeidae"
Cowries - Vol. 1
1. The authorship of some taxa by either of the three Sowerby's is inaccurate or incorrect in Volume 1. The complete quotations are:
• Callistocypraea broderipii (J. E. Gray in Sowerby I 1832)
• Schilderia achatidea achatidea (J. E. Gray in Sowerby I 1837)
• Palmadusta contaminata (J. E. Gray in Sowerby I 1832)
• Bistolida owenii owenii (J. E. Gray in Sowerby I 1832)
• Bistolida goodallii (J. E. Gray in Sowerby I 1832)
• Cribrarula cumingii (J. E. Gray in Sowerby I 1832)
• Erronea xanthodon (J. E. Gray in Sowerby I 1832)
• Contradusta walkeri walkeri (J. E. Gray in Sowerby I 1832)
so, to be consistent with my conduct in quoting authors in the book, these taxa should have Sowerby replaced by J. E. Gray (omitting the "in Sowerby",
as I have done it in pantherina Solander (in Lightfoot) and alexhuberti Lorenz & Huber (in Lorenz & Hubert).
2. The dates of three Kiener taxa are incorrectly given as 1843 but should be 1844 (corrected in Vol. 2)
Macrocypraea cervinetta cervinetta, Melicerona felina fabula, and Purpuradusta microdon chrysalis.
3. The distribution of reevei extends further east than given in the map, as it includes Kangaroo Island and probably stretches as far as the Murray River mouth.
4. The maximum size of Notocypraea piperita piperita is 34, not 32
5. Notocypraea declivis dennyorum may be found as deep as 18 m.
Many thanks to Philippe Bouchet and Simon Wilson.
Cowries - Vol. 2
still waiting for feedback...